Wednesday 1 August 2007

What is my name?

Me: Ma..what is the meaning of my name ar?

Mum: No meaning 1 la..just that easy to call ma..
(yes..that is very true...everytime if introduced in a group, people sure remember my name first)


How on earth could they think of this name...

My name is often made fun of..cos sounds like petpet (backside in cantonese) and some other mandarin unpleasant words...at 1 time, i was quite embarrassed to say my name, n felt weird just by saying it...

HMM...Mayb thats y:

Me: Ma..who tot of my name 1?

Mum: em....

Me: pa...

Dad: (pretend not to hear)

Me: PA!!!...who tot of my name 1?

Dad: Ask ur mum..

creek...creek...(silence afterthat)

Mythology

I heard of a myth in my family..about the origin of my name...no1 knows the truth...

it all started 20 over years ago...

1st baby: super happy...find sifu sifu feng shui give nice name...chiew har (some autumn something...)
2nd baby: girl..still happy...chiew hong..(can tell that they are sisters from name)

then the 3rd child is born...hmm...girl again?
being a typical china man, my dad sure want a boy 2 pass down his family name ma..
so dis time the girl call: Wei Wei (meaning last last /end end in mandarin)

4th baby: YAHOOOOO...its a boy...thong kai wan san (meaning thank god)

Human nature, 1 sure not enuf wad..if 2 boy then ngam oredi..So pok another 1..
Bak kata pepatah, "Orang Tamak Selalu Rugi" ...

cum out 1 girl...name : Pei Pei ..more to Pei!! Pei!! (the action of spitting)


IN UK..
Sometimes I do wish I have an english name..
James, Matthew, Nick, Helen, Eric, ...all so easy to introduce to the Ang Moh...

Hi, I'm Pei. (thats the simplest I can think of)

Ang Moh: Pi? (pronounced as pee)

Me: Pei..P.E.I

Ang Moh: Pi..

Me: Ya..Pi..
Cincai la..cincai la..

This is when I believe in evolution...

From Pi, slowly become Pai..sometimes Pie..

Some were debating bout my name..they prefer pie to pee(cause sound like the act of passing urine, in hokkien pang lio)

But they still think pie is not a nice name...end up bcome Sweet Pi..
OK..we'll call her sweet pi..

Nurse: Donald, (an old apek dementia patient) this is Sweet Pi..
End up all the apek apek ajim ajim all call me Sweet Pi..

A jim: hey ladies, the wee girl's name is Sweet Pi aye..

Even the postman when come to my house:

Postman: Pei Pei please..(senyum tersipu-sipu) Y do you have to repeat it twice?

That is y i jus introduce as Pei and not Pei Pei

NOOOOOOOOOOOO...but there are still people who calls me prettypei...hmm..skk..skk...

But now, I am quite glad that my name is Pei Pei and not some Mei Mei, Lai Lai or Leng Leng..

15 comments:

ihsan_huhu said...

wah.. interesting gila.. name without a meaning..

just wondering, is there other pei pei in this world?

anyway, peipei is better then bye bye or taufu...

hoho

ihsan_huhu said...

weih.. another question...
y r brother got so long name? (thong kai wan san)

Eve said...

so funny wei!! i was laughing like gila..ekeke

ur sister's name lee chiew har - same with my eldest aunt, lee chiew har. Har Har

ihsan_huhu said...

weih..

what if ur name like dis?
lee fat fat? or ang fat fat?

btw, fat in bahasa cina is wat?

pp said...

kaka..got l..i got 1 fren lim pei pei..sometimes got ppl call salah find me 1..hehe.my brothers name is not thong kai wan san la..<--- this means sembelih ayam to thank god..haha..

haha..chiew har common name..

liban: fat is fei..got ppl lee fei fei..haha..

ihsan_huhu said...

y wong fei hong itu kurus?

pp said...

haha..die kan kong fu banyak exercise, kurus la..

Unknown said...

wahahaa, now my whole family is calling you pretty pei!

pp said...

nooo...paiseh..

Eric Koay said...

shud tell angmoh,
pei is pronounced like 'pay tax' punya pei

pp said...

pay pay..hmm..but tak best also la..some angmoh call me pei correctly..my supervisor call me pei pei..everytime he say, he'll smile smile

Anonymous said...

You have so much sense of humour. I laughed all the way in process of reading it. Hey, I actually came across someone named exactly lee pei pei in friendster. Btw, I think your name is sweet, pei. So nice to call.

peipei said...

Hi there peipei. Your riend, Janice was the one who introduced you to me. It is very sweet and nice of her.
Well,.for your info..I am the one with the name exactly like yours. Lee Pei Pei.

To be honest, I was embarressed and shy too when I intro myself to my friend. People always make fun of PeiPei to PetPet. I know because I experienced it!!
But as times goes by, I am getting used to my name peipei. In fact, our name is quite common! Our case is even matching with same surname! Fuyoh!

pp said...

wah..exact same name..keke..i noe of lim pei pei, got fong pei pei, din know of a lee pei pei yet..hehe..except myself ofcourse..

Janice Ong said...

Have you realised how much effort I've put in to promote your blog? Come back Malaysia must belanja me makan already. Or, don't let me catch you on the street.